The Persian An Shigao is the first known Buddhist missionary and translator in China as well as the forefather of an outstanding Chinese family. This original study sheds new light on him and his family through an analysis of sources never before considered in the past studies.
Table of Contents
- Chapter 1: Literary evidence
- Chapter 2: Epigraphical sources
- Chapter 3: Remarks on the early Buddhist sources on An Shigao
- Appendix A: An early eighth century edict ordering the repatriation of hostages
- Appendix B: On the origin of An Lushan’s 安祿山 family name An 安
- Genealogical Chart of an Shigao’s Family